Wednesday 8 October 2008

This Eid

Although some people may celebrate the Eid or Raya for a whole month, for me a week is the max.

Our Raya celebrations were done very simply, as always; this time we did not have as many people dropping by as in previous years. Possibly because the last couple of years we were staying right in front of the surau. It was quite natural for AHS to steer his friends in the direction of the house right after the prayers. So, it was serve, serve and serve till about noon.

This time there were lulls in between, enough time for us to clear up the table before the next round of guests arrived. Some even brought gifts for the new house: sooo nice of them. Our last guests left at about 9.30 p.m. and I was grateful to them for finishing my lodeh. I even made spaghetti bolognaise, for just in cases, which was swept clean as well.

On the second day, it was Kuantan: I was so excited to see my kin, especially the nieces and nephews. My, how fast they've grown. I feel that I'd missed their growing-up years. We hardly meet at other times, everyone busy with work or school. And Raya isn't the time for catching up with news or happenings; for so soon it was time to go.

Then it was time for the visits within KL. What I find this time was that most people were talking about the division of property to their children or family members after their death. It should be an easy matter, but it is made so complicated. So many considerations and 'jaga hati' to be thought of. So, is it better to leave something to your loved ones or not? So those discussions soured my Eid somewhat. We even had 'visitors' on Sunday asking AHS' advice on their mother's (mentally unstable) situation -- her sons are actually bickering to take care of her! Thank goodness AHS gave them sound advice, after a half hour discussion.

A tinge of melacholy, this Raya, for many reasons. My parents are getting older, I could see my mother having to make the extra effort -- she moves a lot more slowly than before. We still had the perennial problem of her full freezer; though I reminded her to empty it way beofre Ramadhan.

I am glad I got the chance to have a talk with my father, (on the verandah) about his concerns -- he's not a man of many words.

I didn't get to see more of the relatives I had wanted to, though. Perhaps next year.

4 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Joolie, I felt warm reading your this cherita.
And yes, its so nice to have a father daughter chat....
wish I could too.
I bet Kuantan has changed a lot, huh?
Used to go to Telok Chimpedak, makan rojak....but sure learned ayer kelapa and rojak don't go well together, add sotong bakar, habis cherita!
You have a nice day, Jooli....keep well, Lee.

ps, talking about Telok Chimpedak, back in early 80's I dated a lovely Kelantan maiden and kita pergi ke Pantai Cinta Berahi...we we both sitting on the beach, eating goreng pisang and joking, beautiful moonlight night too....several men, I think Religious officers approached us and informed us to retire.....ha ha, and regret to say, that was the last I dated Malay friends. Lee.

jooli said...

Hi Lee,
It has. Kuantan has so many shopping complexes these days that people have forgotten the beautiful stretch of beaches and jungles and waterfalls we have there. I'd rather go home to quaint coffee shops that sell kopi kampung and roti bakar... simplicity at best.

Pantai Chinta Berahi is now known as Pantai Cahaya Bulan (still PCB). The original name was too risque... It encouraged people to do what you were doing there in the 80's , and more! :D.

See ya.

jooli said...

Hi Lee,
It has. Kuantan has so many shopping complexes these days that people have forgotten the beautiful stretch of beaches and jungles and waterfalls we have there. I'd rather go home to quaint coffee shops that sell kopi kampung and roti bakar... simplicity at best.

Pantai Chinta Berahi is now known as Pantai Cahaya Bulan (still PCB). The original name was too risque... It encouraged people to do what you were doing there in the 80's , and more! :D.

See ya.

Lee said...

Hi Jooli, you know, One of my favorite past times old days especially as I travelled a lot and stayed in all those small towns like Grik, Kluang, Bentong, etc etc....I love to duduk ke kedai kopi with my pakcik friends, minum kopi, kita buka cherita....
We sit on the 3 legged stools, sometimes eat those hard boiled eggs, or fresh nasi lemak....and listen to old cheritas.
Sometimes at night, kena terok those kampong Kamikaze mosquitos, they don't take prisoners!

I had more Malay friends than other races simply because I find Malay people have a fantastic sense of humour....even in my blog postings I have very good Malay friends I can tease and joke with....

I love Kuantan back in the 70's, early 80's, used to stay at the Merlin by the beach.

Quite often or rather more often go and stay at Tanjong Jara too.
At one time I could speak Malay with a Trengganu accent....sure had a few laughs when I buy something from a Malay stall in KL and I lepas my Trengganu Malay, ha ha.

One time I told my wife I want to retire in East Coast too, ha ha.
I still have friends in Kuantan, Trengganu and Kelantan as well up North etc....
My kind of work I meet new people everyday and some we become good friends....

Wa, that Pantai Cinta Berahi incident, nasib baik kita makan goreng pisang, and besides there were other people nearby too....ha ha, I was ahemmm, well behaved too, ha ha.
You have a nice day, Lee.

Blog Archive