Monday 19 April 2010

Aches and Pains

I was given a medication for a very nasty cold that didn't go down too well with me, which resulted in my sleeping in the armchair in the living room last Thursday night. My head was groggy and my nose blocked. So, Friday morning dear AHS drove me to Keramat to see this doctor who AHS has been going to for the past 27 years, to see if he could undo things.

I first met this doc after my marriage saw me migrate to this part of town. At first I didn't like the medicine he prescribed, but when I learnt he doesn't give antibiotics, he gained much respect from me. His clinic's opening hours are terrible though -- he doesn't appear till close to 10 a.m, rests between 1 p.m. and 3.p.m, and closes at 6.30 p.m. and doesn't work on Sundays and public holidays. But he is about the only doctor in town I have met who doesn't seem to be in such a rush to see his next patient; but would take the time to look in his dictionary of medicines to explain things to me. He even took the trouble to draw the insides of my abdomen when he explained why I had felt the discomfort when I consulted him on my gastritis.

Thus he explained the earlier medicine I was given causes in certain people palpitations of the heart (I did feel those); thus rather dangerous to those with high bp (I don't have that, thank goodness). It is supposed to make one sleepy, but not rested, because it causes people's brains to be active (I was thinking of so many different things, while lying prone on the bed). And so, please tell the earlier doctor not to prescribe me with it again(I will. Tomorrow). After using the nasal spray (which does not cause the stinging pain I so dread), I was already in the garden that Friday afternoon, gently but definitely ordering AHS to assist me with this and that. By Saturday, I was able to have lunch with a friend at a nice place, with my dignity intact, and not sniffling uncomfortably. On Sunday morning I was out in the garden again, weeding and repotting plants. Today,the backs of my legs are aching.
Knock, knock. Doctor... 

No comments:

Blog Archive